Gloss, needs repainting....how to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

we are in the prosess to redecorating the entire house, and so, we have doorframes/window sills that all need a new lick of paint.

At the moment eveythings gloss white, and I would like to repaint them in white gloss. Can I simply repaint them with a new coat of gloss or should I sand them down a bit (or alot), prime them or somthing?

cheers

Sponsored Links
as long as the original paint is in good condition, just give them a light sand, and re gloss.

cheers Eddie,

the original paints prettty good, just a few chipped parts here and there from use over the years

Hello,
From my experience I would give the woodwork a good rub and apply an undercoat then a gloss. The undercoat gives a key for the gloss to stick to. If you apply gloss onto gloss, in a matter of time the top gloss will chip away if knocked, whereas if you apply undercoat and gloss this is more durable.
Hope this helps

D

Sponsored Links
I use oil based undercoat and gloss. Either Dulux or Crown, both as good as each other.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back