Paint over old gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What’s the professional decorate view on re-glossing. Skirting boards and picture rails were done ten years ago, still white, but since we are doing the whole room again, thought I would also re-gloss.

Is it okay to just sand down and paint on the new gloss?
Is the Dulux non-drip gloss any good?
Read on some forums that it’s better to go with water based gloss now days rather than oil? Is it, if so why?

Should I sand back and put undercoat on first? Or is it okay to paint over the old gloss?

Any other recommendations?

Thank you for all your feedback

:)

Sponsored Links
Undercoat is advisable, if you go water based you need to rub down very well. Aqua is good but all WB gloss/undercoats are harder to use than OB. There is loads of info on here about the toss up between the two, you need to weigh it up and do what you think is best, forget Dulux for anything water based they are rubbish, used the OB u/c and its much more like the old stuff.

Sponsored Links
one last question.

Does the Dulux OB gloss still yellow? Or have they rectified this issue? Like I mentioned earlier, the gloss we painted on from ten years ago, is still white.

Thanks!

Dulux OB will yellow, how fast? certainly its better than earlier 2010 reg attempts but yellowing is i believe still a problem, i have been avoiding it so not sure what its like now. I usually use aqua for gloss but mainly use sikkens BL satura which is excellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back