Why is painting woodwork so difficult!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so it isn't that difficult but getting right paint is!!

I was determined to use a water based paint on a door frame but in common with a lot of people on here was unhappy with the finish so have decided to re-do the job using oil-based paint.

One thing I've never done before (I know, I know) is use an undercoat. I usually just sand and paint with gloss; I guess it's not a massive surprise that it goes yellow so quickly.

My question is, what undercoat to use. If I'm using an oil based gloss do I need to use an oil based undercoat? I've looked at the Dulux website and the only oil based undecoat it does is the Professional range which I suspect will be runny and difficult to use for us DIYers. (Sorry to say but I'm a strict non-drip gloss man!!

Dulux do a water based undercoat but can this be used with an oil based gloss? My fear with this is that the finish will be the same as I experienced with water based gloss (i.e. poor) and this will then mean a bad finish once I put the gloss one?

Sponsored Links
Don't be afraid of the Trade paints. It's true, they are runnier but so long as you adjust your technique to suit, you will get better results.

Don't put too much on or it will form runs/drips on the woodwork after application. Brush it out well so it's pretty much as thin a coat as you can get. Then finish with a very light stroke towards your starting point. Obviously you also have to be more careful not to drip from the brush between paint can and woodwork.

Although everyone swears by Dulux Trade, for undercoat I've always been happy with Leyland Trade U/C. Cheaper and thicker, so it fills any hairline cracks on the woodwork without needing to use filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back