Painting Over Old Oil Paint And Onto New Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two questions in regards to painting existing and new timber. I would prefer to finish everything with a water-based paint due to the faster drying times and non-yellowing effect.

1. I would like to paint over old oil gloss paint which I have matted down and keyed. Is there anything wrong with using a Dulux oil-based undercoat and then water-based top coats? Or should the undercoat also be water-based?

2. I will also be installing new skirting and will want to finish it with a water-based top coat. Should I use a water-based primer and undercoat or would it be best to use oil-based ones?

Sponsored Links
I would like to paint over old oil gloss paint which I have matted down and keyed. Is there anything wrong with using a Dulux oil-based undercoat and then water-based top coats? Or should the undercoat also be water-based?
What do you mean by 'matted down'? I hope you mean 'sanded down' since that is what you need to do. Then use a water based undercoat (two coats, so it is nice and opaque) followed by two coats of water based eggshell, satin or gloss. Sand lightly in between coats for the best finish. Best not to mix oil-based u/c and water based t/c if possible; plus, o/b smells and takes ages to dry).

. I will also be installing new skirting and will want to finish it with a water-based top coat. Should I use a water-based primer and undercoat or would it be best to use oil-based ones?

No, use a water-based system from the word go.

Incidentally, Johnstone's Aqua/waterbased range is by far the best of the new generation of water based u/c and trim coats. Much better than Dulux.

Whichever brand (of w/b) you go for, be prepared to have to apply more coats though than was necessary with the old oil based paints pre 2010.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back