Painting over waterbased gloss in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A couple of years ago we re-designed our son's box room with built in bed frame and mdf cupboards. We put lining paper on the mdf cupboards and painted the mdf, skirting, door, etc, with waterbased gloss.

A few years on and the painted surfaces are looking grubby, frayed and tired. We have decided to re-paint with oil based gloss.

My question is do we need to prime the water based gloss with emulsion before glossing? Or will it be sufficient to just wash down the water-based gloss and then use the oil based gloss?

Whichever way we use, will it need one or two coats of oil based gloss?

Sponsored Links
Sand down to take off the shine then oil based undercoat then gloss.
I must say lining paper on mdf is a bit bizarre but each to there own I suppose, you would normally just use a mdf primer. Just make sure it's still stuck down well before re painting.

I'd stick with the water based, a rub down and a coat of aqua as a maintenance coat. Better than having your son sleep in a stinking bedroom from the ob paint.

Sponsored Links
Son is in Thailand for a month so will go with the oil based gloss.

Yeah, it was a bit strange papering the cupboards, persuaded by a design expert to do it.

Thanks for your responses and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back