Cast Iron Fire Place Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have been given a small Victorian cast iron fireplace that we have decided to use in our living room and have a real log fire in it. I have just done a tester area with some paint stripper and a wire brush, and there is only a thin layer of silver paint on it, so it should be not to much trouble to get it back to its original colour. As to what to do with it after that is becoming a problem as we don't want to paint it black. Can you buy a sealant or something to put over the cast iron to protect it from the heat of the fire, or can you buy heat resistant paints in other colours other than black as i cant seem to find any anywhere!
Or can we leave it as it is? Also how do you polish it?
any advice/help would be great !!!
sarah

Sponsored Links
Hi,

i would after using the paint stripper , make sure you clean it down with damp sponge or similar ,
then you can apply some grate polish(black) with a cheap brush, leave it for 30 mins and then polish it of with a cloth .

make sure you have the fire place either in situ or on an old dust sheet as the black polish is very hard to get out of your best carpet .

you can get it from any fire place suppier or of the net .

oh there are heat resistant paints out there , just need to look around .
or radiator paint !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back