Protection of a Polished Cast Iron Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a cast iron fireplace sand blasted and polished.

The fireplace is going to be put in a bedroom and used purely as a decorative item.

Before removal of paint

After its been worked on (minus the cill)

My question is what is the best way to protect the polished iron, as I am assuming that it will soon start to show rust at the slightest hint of moisture?

I preferably don't want to change the colour to black by using Zebrite or black grate polish. Does anybody know of anything on the market that will offer the fireplace some protection yet retaining the polished effect (gun metal colour)? The only thing I can think of at the moment is a clear polyurethane spray.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Works for me, we use it on external metal work as a final barrier after powder coating. Never had to go back yet.
Watch it, it can run, so go lightly.

Assuming that the fire is not used (as you mention) as it would probably tarnish with the heat.

If you paint it with that high temperature matt black stove paint, then use a grate polish after it has cured, it gives you that gun metal finish that you mention. It worked for me.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.

Plan is to do two test patches under the cill were you won't be able to see the effects.

Then decide which one I prefer and then complete that all over.

At the moment, I feel like the wax is the effect I am after plus the fact that my spray painting technique ability allot to be desired.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back