cast iron fireplace - backfill question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, We recently moved into a property which has a lovely cast iron fireplace. the cast iron firebrick (a piece of cast iron that slides into place at the back) seems to have warped and cracked. I have a replacement ordered offline to match our make/model but i noticed it mentioned that they really should never need replacing if the back filling has been done correctly. So i assumed this was previously done poorly.

Once i got the part, i removed the old broken part (slides in/out to be replaced easily) and noticed the entire backfill was dry loose vermiculite.

I was intending on removing all of this and replacing with some old bricks from a relative who recently did some work. I was just going to stack the bricks in the empty void leaving a 3" gap between the backplate and the bricks, fill the 3" gap with the loose vermiculite, then create a slope to cap it all off with a mix of 5:1 vermiculite and cement and some water.

Does this sound safe and correct?

Sponsored Links
Not sure but ...........vermiculite is an insulator so maybe that causes the iron to get too hot ? In the Olde days it would have been filled with old bricks ( like you have ) and a weak lime/sand mix with a little cement. Not so insulating, more heat absorbing. Just my theory ( and having taken out old fireplaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back