cast iron radiator leaking!

Most of those that I have seen new have "hollow screws with a LH and RH threaded outside and lugs to turn them" that are put in and tightened from the inside of the previous sections.

But most existing rads seem to have the parts so well rusted together that I would be surprised if many will undo ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
As doitall said take out the section thats leaking theres no need to disturb the other sections just mark where the nipple is on the key slide it in to that mark and undo even the oldest of rads will come apart no problem.

Most of those that I have seen new have "hollow screws with a LH and RH threaded outside and lugs to turn them" that are put in and tightened from the inside of the previous sections.

But most existing rads seem to have the parts so well rusted together that I would be surprised if many will undo ?

Tony

Never had one not come out yet. :D

Well I like what Agile says and I like what Doitall says but which is better.......... ;) . Seriously guys , I did several @ a big house once - but that was 30 years ago - so there is the opportunity for 30+ more years of corrosion on a rad you might find in a salvage yard :confused: I`m just not convinced somehow

Sponsored Links
Well I like what Agile says and I like what Doitall says but which is better.......... ;) . Seriously guys , I did several @ a big house once - but that was 30 years ago - so there is the opportunity for 30+ more years of corrosion on a rad you might find in a salvage yard :confused: I`m just not convinced somehow

Find yourself a 50-60 year old rad from a scrap yard and I'll show you how easy the sections break, (as in unscrew}

I may be wrong but I doubt agile would know how to get one apart, I'm certain he has never tried it.

not really comfortable taking the sections out myself wouldn't know where to start and wouldn't want to end up causing more damage. The hole's on the second section about half way up.

Well , I`m now convinced by diA ;) but I`ve done it before - for you , I`d say use one of the cold .2-pack plastic fillers :idea: I mean , this is a diy site - and if the hole is near the front - just fix it and turn the rad round so it`s near the back :p

You need to look at it closely to see whether it's a hole (unlikely) or a crack.

yes, epoxy - and as DiA says may be a crack ( probably is ) but I would still give it a chance with epoxy - unless it`s a combi boiler or a pressurised system - open vented should be ok ( @ lower pressure) Ideally if it`s not on a carpeted floor and you can cope if it does fail

Dont even attempt to weld it, I'm a coded welder and it won't work. cast iron will crack if heated to welding or brazing temperatures in one spot.
drill out, tap, and put in screw with sealant on it, as suggested previously.

The reason i think it's a whole is because it's round and hole shaped. It is on a combi system so will prob go for the tap and screw route providing i can get through the gap with a tapping bit. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back