Cast Iron radiators and also changing valves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved house and are looking at doing up on a room by room basis. Our first room is totally stripped and ready for work doing to it.

One of the things we are doing is changing the radiators, and we really like the cast iron style radiators. So firstly does anyone have a recommendations for sellers of cast iron radiators? I have done a quick search but I like to go off recommendations. Secondly I am aware that they are on the weighty side, so should I be concerned about reinforcing the floor underneath it? The room is upstairs with standard floor boards.

My second question revolves around changing the valves, as ideally we'd like to fit brand new thermostatic valves to go with the radiator. We have obviously removed the old radiator and have the pipes sticking out the floor with the valves on it, but surely changing the valves will involve a shower unless I cut off the CH. So i am wondering would I have to drain the whole system? This seems like quite and involved task for someone new to all this DIY stuff, but I imagine it depends on your system.

So there we go any help much appreciated. Any additional help regarding considerations for cast iron radiators would be helpful. I know how to calculate the appropriate BTU output for the room, but should i be checking that my boiler is up to it? I can provide details if needed. Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
what kind of system have you got would be a start, combi? open vent? unvented?

Well to be honest i am not sure, all i know is that is NOT a combi and the make of my boiler is British Gas 303. If it would be helpful for more specifics I can sift through the manual that was left and give you those. What is the difference with open vent or unvented? Thanks for the reply.

@gasservice85: Thanks for the links i will check them out. Tbh its the look we are after so getting them in a more usable material would be fine. Re: output of my boiler, i have been doing some calculations and it appears as though radiators the same size as the width between the two connector pipes (~1600mm) have a massive output compare to what i need to heat the room. So if anything we may be looking at down grading the radiators.

For your info, approx. dimensions of room are 9ft x 11f tx 8ft, double glazed and not north facing. From the calculators I have used come out around the 2800 BTU mark, where as a lot of radiators i have look at with that length are around 4000 BTU. That make sense?

Reclaim yards,you'll pick up genuine cast rads for around 40-60 each.

Used rads are not guaranteed not to leak. They may have severely rusted bushed connections.

Worst of all they are not in your choice of sizes!

Buy nice new ones and have an easy time of connecting them.

Tony

Have you ever actually looked at the costs of a decent NEW cast rad, their about 60 a section.
All the new repro steel,ali ones just look cack and feel cack.

Got all ours from a police station :confused: Just striped them back and re finished.
Wall hung and floor stood beauties.

Most dEcent repo yards actually guarantee the rads,they pressure test them and will exchange if you prove it to fail. Recommended lots of our customers use yards with not one leak yet.
If you get a fitter that knows what he's on with,he'll be able to get them to the length you need by adding/removing columns.

Even with a 48" stilson I once failed to get a bush out. That was on a no fix no fee basis so I was trying!

As for undoing sections on a 50 y.o. cast rad I would leave it for you.

You have reminded me of someone I know who does up houses for resale.

He sent about 7 c.i. rads to hampshire to be sand blasted and painted with a dark silver metallic finish.

When they came back he had slightly cold feet and was £2000 lighter! He called his agent and asked what colour the rads should be? "White !"

So the Polish workers set to repainting them back to white! They did not seem to question what he was doing as it was all work for them. I am sure they must have thought of him as a bit mad though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back