casting concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I am looking for advice for the strongest mix ratio to cast a concrete bench,
I have cast some small pavers using 1 part cement 2 sharp sand and 3 parts aggregate but have noticed they break quite easily after cured,is there a better recommended mix for pavers
thanks for any help as I am just wasting material trying to get the right strength so any help would be very welcome
regards
michael

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert and can't offer advice on the mix, however for a sizable piece of work like a bench it may be worth considering re-bar too.

it needs to be at least 50mm thick and you need to use a variation of grain size. Some 10mm stone some 5mm grit and some plastering sand to give something to rub up.

It should also be pretty strong like 4:1

Most importantly it needs vibrated to remove air bubbles.

As said a sheet of mesh would do wondered for its bending strength.

For as good strong mix I use, (with a builders bucket). 2 x buckets of 10mm gravel 1 and 1/2 buckets of river/sharp sand to one bag of cement. This mx is a good strong mix

Vibrating
When filling moulds up with concrete you will have air trapped in the concrete. The best way to remove this air is with a vibrating table, but these can be quite expensive.

I have made one of these benches and i added 8mm rebar

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back