Cat5e cable / patch panel for internal bell box / buzzer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As above, if a house has Cat5e wiring and a patch panel near the alarm unit, is there any way this cabling can be used to connect an internal buzzer for when the alarm sounds?

Or is Cat5e cabling simply not suitable for alarm usage?

I can get more details on the alarm panel itself if necessary, but I guess my main question of the suitability of Cat5e cabling can be answered without that

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It would be worth labelling your cable on the patch panel or breaking half the locking tab off the RJ45 so that you don't unplug it by accident!

Apologies I forgot to reply here. Thought I had.

I've looked into it more now and the system is a Honeywell Intellisense st800l+

I believe from reading the manual (link below) that I can set it to have a lower volume when on night set mode, so to avoid waking people up that are already asleep... Simply by adjusting the volume control on the PCB of the panel? And the volume of entry/exit tone (copied from the keypad) will otherwise ring louder from this new speaker when in normal mode (not night set).

And the speaker will of course ring at full volume if the alarm sounds? Am I understanding it correctly?

If so, am I correct in saying this is the sort of speaker I need (link below)? It says it needs to be AC driven and 16 OHM (max of 2) in the manual

Does this look correct?

Thanks!! :)

Not too clued up on the ohms, but it says on the amazon listing that "8 and 16 Ohm units available"... should I opt for one over the other?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WA7-ELMDEN...b-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/intruder/documents/800L_Install.pdf

Sponsored Links
Buy a Pyronix twin alert you can also ajust the volume inside this speaker
That's quite well priced

Couple of Q's if you don't mind please as I assume you've used that unit before.

How is the cabling? Because for 'speaker' on my panel I simply only have a + and - connection, no tamper, so how would it know?

Also, how does it differentiate (understand) between the keypad tones and alarm sounding if there is only the + and - connection? Or will those advanced features simply not work with the ST800L+ and you're just suggesting it as it has the volume control?

And sorry, also how does the power work / where is it powered from? Don't mind making the connections etc, just not too familiar with alarm systems so not sure on requirements / don't want to blow or overload anything

It's a multi input sounder ! If you just want to use the speaker , you can , if you want to use the bell input you can...

Ahh right. My main aim is to really only have it sound when the alarm sounds, but if it can mimic keypad tones (at an adjustable volume) I guess that's a bonus

Any advice on where to make the connections? I guess 'speaker' for the keypad tones, but what is the best way to linking it in with the current external sounder without causing issues and still maintaining tamper protection? Am I right in saying it needs to be done in series as opposed to parallel?

Does it depend on which external sounder I currently have as to whether the 'load' will be correct or too much?

Thanks!

VZ2ULGh.jpg

All sorted and installed, thanks!

This worked:

Honeywell to Pyronix
AUX+ to 12V+
AUX- to 12V-
S- to BA
Speaker - to SPK

To be honest in speaker function it is a bit loud even at the lowest settings. But that wasn't my reason for purchasing it anyway, I really wanted it as a siren for which it is perfect. So I may end up disconnecting the speaker wire.

Very nice build quality and reasonbly discreet looking too!

My panel has an individual volume control of it's own for the speaker, but I think it isn't working as I don't have a + and - from the panel, I've only connected the minus as the power is coming from the auxiliary power (turning the volume control on the panel doesn't seem to have any effect)

Normally anti clockwise to turn it down
Hmm will give it a double check

Based on the fact I'm not using speaker + and -, just using speaker - ... should I expect that volume control to still work? I figured it is now just simply sending a 'signal' to the pyronix and it makes the chirp at whatever noise the pyronix itself is set to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back