Catching diseases off bird poo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I heard someone got a disease from breathing in dried dusty bird poo which affected their nervous system. Think it's pigeons are the worst. Wondering -

If you use a large wet/dry vac with filter taken out (for extra power) when cleaning gutters would it potentially blow out this dust from gutters?

How about if it's wet and drips down off a window or off a patio ?

How about if a bit flies in your mouth?

Sponsored Links
I heard someone got a disease from breathing in dried dusty bird poo which affected their nervous system. Think it's pigeons are the worst. Wondering -
Yes, they are horrible. I had a chest infection (cryptococciosis) from working on a project a few years ago where we had pidgeon contamination. It took about 6 months on anti-viral medication to get rid of it. It was like having a heavy cold or flu on the chest.

Solution: Wear a properly face fitted P3 mask and sanitise the mask every time you take it off, sanitise your hands, too. The decontamination guys who clean out old buildings wear disposable "romper suits" with hoods, shoe covers, gloves, FFP3 masks and goggles/visors to protect themselves

If you use a large wet/dry vac with filter taken out (for extra power) when cleaning gutters would it potentially blow out this dust from gutters?
Do you intend to shower your customers with dried pidgeon poo, then? Never a good idea to blow contaminated dust around - especially if someone living in the building has left a window open and happens to be asthmatic or allergic to birds or has a suppressed immune system (e.g.kids, elderly, people who have had cancer, etc). You could find yourself in serious hot water if your actions made them ill

How about if it's wet and drips down off a window or off a patio ?
Nice! So you'll vary the dry poo with wet poo. What if it marks the masonry or paintwork?

How about if a bit flies in your mouth?
As I said, wear a mask... and a visor (infections can enter through the eyes)

And just to make your day:
"Diseases associated with pigeon droppings include Cryptococcosis, Histoplasmosis and Psittacosis. You can become infected with these with these diseases by breathing in the dust that is created when cleaning droppings. The risk of pigeon-related diseases is rare but is still a hazard"
Here's a bit of info on what inhaling pidgeon poo might do to you.

So full PPE, Marigolds, a spritzer full of water/detergent (to knock the dust down), disposable cloths and a bucket seems to be the way to go. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back