Cause of diagonal damp line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've attached a few pictures of a damp line that has appeared in out loft room. It bled through in the course of heavy wind and rain a few weeks ago, but there is ample evidence of the wall having had issues with damp before.

The house is med terrace. The damp itself roughly follows the angle and height of next door's roof - their house is stepped down from ours.

Having previously done work further along the wall (unrelated to damp) I can confirm that it's been plastered over at least five times, with lime, then gypsum, then two layers of plasterboard and another layer of gypsum.

We've had four roofers round to look at it and every one has suggested a different cause and remedy, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Has anyone has experienced a similar issue in a loft room? Can you offer any suggestions as to what the issue may be?

Thanks,

James

Attachments

• 20210618_164021.jpg
    20210618_164021.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210618_164004.jpg
    20210618_164004.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Hi Andy,

I'm away from the house for a few days, but will get some pictures of the exterior up when I'm back.

One said it's the flashing on the chimney on our side, one said it's the felting in our side, one said it was the render on the neighbourvs side, and one said it just needs painting with damp seal and replastering.

Thanks,

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back