cavity filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help. 17th Century house. after taking plasterboard off walls to expose timbers, now have a gap between ceiling and top of wall where timbers meet the ceiling. Gap uneven and ranges from say three fingers wide to minimal gap. There is a timber beam running across the top of wall adjoining the ceiling (or not, thus causing the gap!). The beam is stained dark oak so we need some kind of filler say polysterene type filler as a guess to fill out the gaps and stop 400 years of dirt falling from under the bedroomn floor above!

Any ideas anyone? I cant stand it now after two years trying to work out best way.....

Sponsored Links
Have you considered placing rough sawn pieces of timber the same colour as the beams in?

Its difficult to visulise this with a pic

I guess that might be one solution. I still think it would need something more.....the shape of the beam is very irregular - unfortunately its not an oak beam only a soft wood beam which is badly eroded/eaten! Can you get wood coloured filler? This is a job we've been putting off so not really looked around yet.......

Is it possible to attach pictures to this site? its new to me.....

thanks for your response though, its something to work on.....

Sponsored Links
You can indeed get wood coloured filler or make your own using polyfilla and water based wood dye.

Sounds like you might need a dry rot preservative too....something to kill the lavae and preserve te wood

You can add pictures to the site apparently,but from how its been explained it to me how to do it, it sounds like spliting the atom would be easier!

Email em if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back