Filling around oak beams in barn conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a job coming up which is a 5/6 year old barn conversion which has shrinkage cracks everywhere. The oak beams that run through the ceiling, some of which are about 20 feet long and a foot square, have big gaps around them where they meet the plasterboard ceiling/walls. Some of the gaps are about an inch wide and quite deep. What is best to use to fill these gaps? I don't really want to use expanding foam as it's messy stuff and I just don't like it. Caulk will just shrink and I'm not so sure that filler will stay put?? Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
No Zampa they are the huge oak beams that physically hold the roof up.

:LOL: ...no I meant using thin strips of oak in the same colour to plug the gaps

Sponsored Links
A one inch gap is huge shrinkage. As oak beams don't float in thin air, I assume that the gaps are not structural. I would use expanding foam as, despite its messiness it does penetrate and stick to anything. Alternatively just fill with a render mixture and finish with plaster. That's messy too.

:LOL: Oops sorry Zampa! Yeah thats a good idea, but the beams are quite uneven in places and to get it looking right would be a nightmare I think.

Thanks Kes. I still don't like the idea of expanding foam, I just don't know where I am with it, turn you're back and it's bloody everywhere! I think it's too messy for a job like this. Do you think some bonding would do the trick with some filler smoothed over the top?

i too would use expanding foam,but only with a proper gun,this way you can put as little or as much in as you want and add more if needed.

For occasional use I have found that the DIY cans sold with a plastic gun are excellent, you can control the flow and by sealing the pipe the can er, can be used again until it's empty, unlike the standard use once and throw away cans. A bit pricey, but worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back