Cavity insulation

M

marsaday

Can anyone give me the low down on cavity wall insulation and the free schemes which are out there.

I have a rented property which qualifies for many improvements and so had a new boiler put in and the loft insulation topped up. However, they said the cavity could not be filled because it was too narrow. They checked for rubble in the cavity and that was clear. I thought a cavity of 70mm was ok to be filled ?

So why would they turn this down ? I was told by a different installer that he should be able to do this cavity. However, i do know for sure that there is some rubble around the area where the front door was blocked up by the previous owner. I have been working on this area and found a load of crappy internal brick work which was in a bad way so pulled it out and rebuilt. This is when i found a lot of the rubble. I cleared a lot out, but i imagine there is some still in there.

With this in mind am i right in thinking only a certain type of insulation can be used if you think there may be some rubble in the cavity ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the technicalities of what can and cannot be filled, but currently AFAIK the cavity wall filling is not free (unless you're on benefits, or old).

However, you might be wise to hold your horses until March. As I understand it the government are reforming the ECO/green deal nonsense and massively cutting back on solid wall funding and going back to doing lofts and cavities (since they're more cost effective).

I know all this as I am trying to get an EWI job done before the end of March and the funding runs out.

right thanks. Do you know if boilers will be affected ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back