Cavity Wall Insulation Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently removed an old chimney that ran through my bathroom from the kitchen below out through the roof above. The chimney was not large, approximately 12" wide and protruded into the room approximately 6". It ran through the cavity of the wall, but was obviously blocked at either side.

Now that I have removed the chimney, I am going to re-brick to the line of the existing wall. There will therefore be a cavity in the wall as standard.

Although this is only a small section of wall, I would like to take the opportunity to put some insulation in, either fibreglass/slab or PIR board. There was previously polystyrene balls that were installed a number of years ago before I owned the property.

Questions:

- Do I need to add in a moisture barrier when installing the insulation?

- If yes, which side should the moisture barrier sit, outer wall side or inner wall side?

- Should I leave an air gap or completely fill the cavity depth with the chosen insulation?

- In your opinion, which form of insulation is better?

Any help or advice you could give will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back