Cavity Wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are midway through renovating a 1930s house and currently have booking for bead type cavity wall insulation on external walls in the house. The problem is that later on we are planning to replace the external doors and door frames which have gone rotten (including a large front door). Generally speaking, is it likely that once door frames are out, the cavity is exposed and if so is it likely that we'll get insulation material everywhere and cold spot above the door? Cavity is 50mm.

Sponsored Links
Modern day EPS bead will be bonded with a very weak glue so they will not fall out unless you poke or scrape at it.

to give you an idea, i recently cut new openings for a doorway and a window in a house that had the cavity filled last year. Once i cut one leaf I literally just sawed the stuff very gently around the perimeter of the opening and it will came out in one big slab.

Mind you the slab will barely stay together once its out but the stuff within the wall will not go anywhere unless you poke/ rake at it

My 1930's house has a similar poly bead cavity insulation. It's not bonded together with anything, but it does seem to have compressed together over the years to the extent that it behaves reasonably well as long as you don't agitate it.

If you leave it for any length of time though, you do start to discover while balls getting everywhere in the house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back