CCTV optimum recording settings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just Installed Hikvision HDTVI POC 5mp cameras and DVR and wondering what the ideal settings should be set to.
I have tried to read posts but not alot of info to help.
I can set to 5mp but only records at 12fps.
4mp can record at 18fps.
There is so many different websites with different info. Many say 1080p is all you need so a little confused and another I read said only need 6fps but that seems low to me.
Your help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The human eye sees at approx 12fps so not much point recording at a higher fps.
Highest resolution is usually better but it depends on your recording capacity. More resolution needs more storage.
Some say 1080p worked better at night but cctv camera technology improves daily.
If you are using an app for reviewing playback 1080p @ 6fps will probably be all your internet signal can handle. You will need a very good 4G signal to handle more.
Lots of variables to weigh up when it comes to cctv. Storage, bandwidth, playback device, light availability for night image and so on...

"The human eye sees at approx 12fps so not much point recording at a higher fps"
Yes if you are only watching it live.
But if you want to check the recording later to identify someone, you need as many individual frames as possible.

"The human eye sees at approx 12fps so not much point recording at a higher fps"
Yes if you are only watching it live.
But if you want to check the recording later to identify someone, you need as many individual frames as possible.
So what do you recommend? Dropping resolution to get higher frame rate or stick at 5mp 12fps?

Sponsored Links
I would always go for the best frame rate that still allowed sufficient resolution for the area you need to be covered.
It will always be a compromise, depending on the camera field of view and the distance an intruder might be.

So what do you recommend? Dropping resolution to get higher frame rate or stick at 5mp 12fps?
Depends. How many days retention do you require? Method of saving the data? Maximum amount of data that can be saved?
It is never straight forward with cctv.

edit

In my instance I hope to obtain an image of sufficient quality such that I am able to identify who is in my garden/whose dog is leaving an unwanted deposit outside my gate

therefore one image of sufficient detail is preferable to more than one picture with insufficient detail.

I an effort to obtain good quality I bought a Reolink 4K four camera and NVR kit.

Whist I am unable to currently carry out a direct on screen 4K Reolink to a 1.3mp Panasonic WV-SW175e I am optimistic.

Hope my armature input helps

Last edited:
Depends. How many days retention do you require? Method of saving the data? Maximum amount of data that can be saved?
It is never straight forward with cctv.
Have a 4tb hard drive and only really needing 2 weeks or what ever longest I would be away on holiday.
The recording is using H265 but I have the option of H265+

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back