Ceiling Peeling when painted ... help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently in the process of decorating our house. It is now time for me to decorate the Master Bedroom. When painting the ceiling we have been shocked to find that the paint that is currently on the ceiling is peeling away when the new paint is put on.

I am rollering the paint onto the ceiling, and the paint is Dulux Pink-to-White ceiling emulsion. We opted for the better known brands rather than the B&Q Specials for a lasting finish.

I also came across this problem when painting some of the Walls in the Hall and in one of the Childrens Bedrooms.

Under the paint, the plaster seems to be sound and is not damp to the touch. We have since scraped all the loose paint and then coated the areas in a generous helping of Dulux Interior Sealer for Plaster. We waited 24hrs and then re-applied the paint to the ceiling. This has reduced the peeling, but not stopped it.

Is there anything I should be doing to stop this from happening?? Should we be applying more than one coat of sealer to the areas? Is there nothing left to do other than scrape the entire ceiling of the previous paint?

Any help, tips and advice would be much appreciated. The sooner the better, as the other half is bending my ear constantly.

Sponsored Links
Year of build is approximately late 1950's to early 1960's so not far off. :(

It is an Ex-Council house too.

At that age I wouldn't have thought they were still using distemper

but try scrubbing a sample section with very hot water and a nylon brush.

The bad stuff is greyish and will dissolve in hot water leaving a whitish powder and a glue that smells slightly. On the ceiling it often looks quite thick and uneven like it is trying to form drips.

It does not wash off in cold water.

Sponsored Links
Well the ceiling looks nice and even. The joins in the plaster don't seem to have been 'taped' but the rest is nice and even. Under the paint there seems to be a very pale yellow substance that looks like paint. There is no smell.

When we have scraped the ceiling, both layers come away quite cleanly, until it reaches an area that isn't suffering from the problem.

I will try the scrubbing method, but this would be under a layer of Emulsion already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back