Ceiling plasterboard unsupported around edges of room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bunch cracks in the ceilings upstairs in our 1960's house, been there years but we're decorating now.

The ceiling joists are 18" apart, plasterboard has been nailed up, doesn't feel very secure. But the the thing that's the biggest issue is that in many rooms there's no support for the plasterboard round the perimeter of the room as the joist is some distance away from the edge, or as in one case, directly over a room wall. As there's nothing to screw the plasterboard into(see pic) it moves around 1cm if I push it.

Is this common construction method? seems very lazy to me.

I take it the only solution is to go up into the loft and add more noggins/joists/supports to secure the plasterboard where it's unsupported?

Sponsored Links
1960s standard practice, no perimeter noggins for plasterboard. Cracks are not due to lack of noggins. At 450mm centres, sounds like you got cut roof, and cracks are due to shrinkage and movement of roof timbers.
In all probability the wall as shown in your drawing is 75mm breeze block built of first floor after ceiling tacked. Standard practice.
As suggested run a cove, although they are a bit old hat at the moment. I still like them though.
We were to busy earning huge amounts of tax free money in them days to be to fussy. Harold Macmillan Prime Minister. Slogan. Never had it so good. Too bl**dy right as well. What say you Nige F.
oldun :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Indeed - ;) As to the ceilings glassfibre scrim and a slurry of plaster poured from above in the loft :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back