cellar light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run into a problem on a cellar light.

The tricky part of my setup was wiring both lights in a way that the they were both fed from breaker current, and both drew through the switch. I was using 12-2 romex with black, white, and bare wire arrangement.

In my setup:
-I have L1 and L2 fed from (breaker current) at L1's junction box (both are fed from same wire).
-My Neutral bus goes straight (is spliced at L1's Jbox) to one side of the switch with no connection to the lights .
-The other post on the switch goes to each of the neutrals of each light.

Both lights work at the same time, and the switch cuts them both on and off.

I don't know if this is technically right, but it works well and has caused no problems. The best I can tell from looking around, is that under this setup, you have to have both lights fed from breaker current, and draw through the switch off of the neutral bus, so that the switch can stop the flow or let the flow of current continue.

The things that people say not to do is put current directly into or through the switch, or put voltage into your neutral bus. They say that your feed or hot wire should always be on one side of the energized item and your neutral on the other.

Sponsored Links
Word of warning. You have wired your lights in an UNSAFE condition.

My Neutral bus goes straight (is spliced at L1's Jbox) to one side of the switch with no connection to the lights .

The switch should ALWAYS be in the HOT line before the appliance. Your present arrangement means that even with the switch off the light socket will be live - you run the risk of electrcution if something goes wrong.

I would recommend you get some assistance.

Sponsored Links
Back