Cellar ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BEC7D5EC-3016-4EC8-8F40-27568E8C6629.jpeg
Hi

I have a cellar with damp coming in in periods when the water table is particularly high. It’s rare but when it happens it can fill up! We have an old concrete sump in there which I periodically flush out with a pump. I am going to set this up to pump automatically using a float switch.

The cellar has no ventilation at the moment - it looks like a couple of old coal shoots / windows have been blocked up.

At the top of the steps is a trap door with a glass top - it gets condensation - so I need to remove the damp during these periods of high water table.

I am unclear in the physics of this, but where and how should I ventilate? A simple extractor near to the glass trap door? And in and an out vent (not extractor) in each of the coal shoots/high windows? Or with electrical extraction??

Any help is appreciated!

D

Sponsored Links
I used to do a lot of cellar pumps I used to fit two at different levels in case one failed to ventilate you need a flow of air so an extractor and an inlet that way you get a proper flow which will freshen the place up. Bob

So am I extracting damp air out and a separate inlet / air brick elsewhere?
Is this a normal extractor or a Heat recovery extractor fan?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back