Cement Flooring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a cement floor forming the front of the house (kitchen and bathroom) and wooden floor for the rear. The bathroom is an old toilet and pantry knocked into one...and it honks a bit when the place gets warm...I thought the old carpet was the initial problem but no!

I have now lifted the old flooring tiles to see if there may be a leak from toilet/waste pipe...although the concrete floor 'looks' damp, it doesn't feel it, and I dont think the waste pipe goes under this floor - I think it goes down, then out under the external wall at a right angle to a manhole in our footpath.

So my suspision for the smell is the old concrete, maybe over time sewerage has impregnated it - would it be prudent to hammer it out then relay? will this weaken the footings/foundation? Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to find the cause of this smell!?

Netto...:cool:

Sponsored Links
UUmmmm, bit like pi88ing in the wind,might be years of men missing the target,is there old wooden skirtings near the bowel ,might be them .maybe all that is needed is the concrete getting a good scrub with a powerful detergent then sealed

splinter said:
UUmmmm, bit like pi88ing in the wind,might be years of men missing the target,is there old wooden skirtings near the bowel ,might be them .maybe all that is needed is the concrete getting a good scrub with a powerful detergent then sealed

Thanks Splints...you could be right, as the spot has been the toilet for at least 70 years!

There is a radiator next to the toilet, which has been cleaned lots, to no avail - it's gonna get moved soon anyhow...

I think it may be a mix of the concrete floor, the boxing over all the pipes (which runs close to toilet), and the cladding around the bathroom - that would be my first port of call, as it's about 40 yrs old, but the smell isn't a damp smell... :eek:

Anyhow, I'll clean it up and seal...I intend to tile it soon...

Bit unusual that,

is the water in the toilet low,this might cause the smell to come back up through the bowel .Does the water in the sink /bath drain away slowly,the Ubends might be partly blocked,has a moose got inside the boxing in and died

Sponsored Links
No, everything drains well, and the water in the toilet is normal levels...it's definately a 'toilet' smell, I know as my head has been (reluctantly) all over it today chipping off old floor tiles!!! :cry:

There could be a dead mouse here or there, this is a farm property after all...I'm just hoping its nothing more serious, like the mysterious disappearance of the previous owners husband!! :eek: JOKE!!!!

I intend to remove the cladding and plaster up anyhow...as Brian May once sang...Too much cladding will kill ya... ;)

Had a smell post not long ago .........tried bleaching the water in the cisten..seemed to do the trick :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back