Cement sectional garage panels together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sectional garage which I am using as a storage facility so I have inistalled stud partition framework, insulation and cladded it with OSB board inside (plasterboard too messy for my liking).

Anyway it's quite old and when it chucks it down with rain water gets in under one of the side walls. After inspection I realised this was because on this side the slab overhangs the wall by 20cm (the other side is fine as it's built on the edge of the slab, however it's in a neighbours garden, but they have gravel upto the edge so water drains away). With the over hanging slab water was not draining away and getting through gaps under the panels. I also discovered that there was no internal concrete fillet round the panels, however I didn't want to remove my wall frame, insulation, cladding so I built a 20cm run off (ramp) to seal the wall and take water off the edge of the slab. But then it rained and some (less) water got in again. On closer inspection it appears that it must get in the horizontal gaps between the panels when it rains at an angle. I had previously sealed these with a silicon as the original sealant was brittle and breaking up, however I noticed some gaps so have gone over these with more silicon.

Now the question is I can't see the silicon lasting very long and it looks messy. So could I fill the horizontal gaps in the panels with mortar as like brick work? I dont intend on taking them down in the near future. But would there be any issue with this like expensaion or movement of the panels?

Sponsored Links
Leadmate silicone sticks like s++t to a blanket,is the right colour and is not messy if is used correctly.
Google it.

I used some fire rated mastic on mine, still there after 7 years. Cement would probably just fall out.

Also the panels probably need to move so silicone will not crack.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Gonna wait to have some heavy rain to establish that the gaps I've sealed are the route of the water getting in. Then if so will get some Leadmate Silicon and reseal it all as I currently used some Transulcent General Purpose Silicon from Jewsons. It says it's suitable for concrete, but it's a bit flimsy and I reckon heavey rain will eventually break it off.

Silicone is used around baths and showers, the rain won't shift it. You did good, leave it as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back