cement taking ages to go off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per another thread I started, I have been rendering a wall after damp in my brothers house.

Yesterday I put up the first scratch coat, SBR'd the wall first with 2 diluted coats approx 10 - 1 , then proceeded to apply the render. The wall was obviously still very porous as I had to work like mad to keep on top of it. The mix was as recommended by the damp proofing company to keep there gaurantee valid 3 to 1 with integral water proofer (cementone)

This afternoon I carried out the second scratch coat with the same process, SBR, same mix same additive. This time 4 hour's later the render was still soft although starting to dry.

Where have I gone wrong, was the SBR not required as the water proofer in the previous coat enough to hold back the suction, or should I have only put the water proofer in the final coat? I am hoping it will stiffen up over night, but will there be any adverse effects or am I safe to continue with a final render tomorrow all being well?

Any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks, Sam

Sponsored Links
10 to 1 for SBR????

You've not really sealed the wall at all and it's sucked all the moisture out of your mix before it had time to sat chemically. Render doesn't dry to set - it needs to be moist.

Hi joe90;

I think it was about 10 to 1 yeah, it actually didn't state the ratio on the tub so I to a guess on the side of caution in case to much would stop it bonding all together.

It's the first piece of internal rendering I have done so normally I'd just drench it with a hose if outside.

The problem now is that I was more worried about the render not going off not bonding to the wall because of to little suction to the wall or am I thinking way off the mark here?

Appreciate the reply

Thanks Sam

Sponsored Links
Just to let anyone else know, the render dried off fine over night, I was panicking over nothing. I applied the final coat this morning with no SBR priming and it all went well.

Just going to wait for a few days until the render is completely dry now so I can skim it with some multi finish plaster and all should be good.

Cheers, Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back