Central Gas Heating Efficiency Questions

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey,

I have a Vaillant ecoCompact Gas water heater, which heats my domestic water and the central heating. I have a large 4 story house with about 25 radiators.

I am just wondering what I can do to make the main house heating more efficient.
Currently, I have the whole central heating and water turn off at 1900 every day and turn back on again at 0600. Is this good?

Would it make sense to turn the water heating off during the day? We only need in the mornings and evenings?
I know its more efficent to keep a fridge on all the time as it takes a lot of energy to return to the normal temperature. But, I think water can heat up really fast, or does it make sense to have the gas keeping the temperature at the desired settings?

What settings would you recommend the heating to be on? Currently the central heating is on around 50c by default.

The hot water I heat to 60c to prevent Legionaries disease.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Insulation, insulation and more insulation.

No point in heating anything if it all heads out the windows/doors and walls. Once that's done then it needs to be on when you need it on TBH. You will get a million different opinions on a DIY site like this but they are all specific to that individual. You (or someone familiar with your system & controls) needs to tune your system to deliver what you want from it and when you want it, not what works for someone else.

Hot water, really depends on how much you use, when you use it and what size of storage you have.

Central heating wouldn't be 50Deg by default, it would have been set back to that. Default would usually be around 70Deg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back