central heating draing n flushing problem. please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i drained my central heating system and changed a radiator yesterday. today i began to refill the system. i put some water into the tank, it came out of the hose very slowly. then i backflushed the system very breifly. and now as im refilling it, seems as if the water is just staying in the tank, an d not filling the radiators. when open the bleed valves nothing comes out, not even air. im completely stuck, and dont know what to do. i reckon it might be sludge in the system, which i caused when i back flushed it.

is the solution to run the system with the chemical in the tank, or ive seen these pumps on hss, are they the best solution?

any help is very much appreicated

Sponsored Links
you have a blocked cold feed matey

time to start cutting and cleaning pipe I am afraid

****! is this the pipe coming from the tank? couldn't i just push a wire cleaner through it and dislodge the sludge? how would i go about fixing it?

yeh the pipe feeding the heating system from the header tank is blocked.

like corgi said the only way to sort it properly is to cut it out and repipe/clean as necessary

Sponsored Links
you could try and backfill the system using mains pressure from your lowest drainoff. Do it slowly, venting each rad in turn from bottom to top.

This may give a temp fix. But agree with guys above. Feed is blocked and needs cutting and replacing

you could try and backfill the system using mains pressure from your lowest drainoff. Do it slowly, venting each rad in turn from bottom to top.

This may give a temp fix. But agree with guys above. Feed is blocked and needs cutting and replacing

Sorry undercover but the OP should not use a system with a blocked Cold Feed.

Get cutting OP

:)

back fill system from low point keep eye on tank if ti fills via cold feed and open vent pipework you dont have a blockage its an air lock which back filling will hopefully remove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back