Central heating Electrical Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System - Gravity fed basic CH system, Rad Stats (no room Stat) , 2 motorised valves (one for Hot water and other for CH) Grundfos UPS2 Pump (fairly new 2-3 years old).
Went to turn Hot Water on and the controller (Honeywell ST699) was dead, evetually found a 3 amp fuse in the boiler electrical switch which had blown, replaced this and controller came on again, I reset the time and then turned the Hot Water on and the fuse blew again, rather than going round checking all the wiring thought I'd try a 5 amp fuse which worked, boiler kicked in but stopped after about 5 mins (there was electrical power still) noticed that rad in the bathroom that is on the Hot Water system was still cold, Boiler wouldn't start even with turning boiler temp control up to 90 degrees. I'm now guessing the water is not circulating out of the boiler, checked both motorised valves and they seem to be working however looks like no power to the pump (pump has 3 lights on it to show what speed its set to).
Could this be the Controller ? it is about 19 years old and the Led display is not showing all the digits nowadays. As mentioned I only fitted the new Grundfos UPS2 pump about 2-3 years ago, is there a seperate fuse for the pump. Don't want to splash out nearly £90 for a new controller/programmer if thats not the problem.
Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
First mistake never put a larger fuse in than you take out you can cause more damage and if you don't know don't touch,get an electrician for safety.

Grundfos had a problem with some of their ups2 pumps , the inrush current was frying the contacts on the programmers, might be your problem.

Sponsored Links
If the pump is failing, it's likely to be drawing more electric current which is why the fuse could be blowing and as Oilboffin mentions by placing a larger fuse the wiring is no longer being properly protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back