Central Heating (HIVE) not working after power cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had a power cut on Friday morning and since then we have had no central heating. The CH is controlled by HIVE along with the hot water.

The hot water still works fine however the boiler will not come on when asking to do the heating.

I have spoken with Hive and they had done some checks and believe everything from their and is working fine. All the lights etc on the thermostat and receiver look ok.

They believe it's a boiler issue, but I find it very coincidental that this has only occurred after the power cut.

My boiler is a Potterton Gold System 28 HE.

If someone could point me in the right direction as who to contact about getting this fixed.

We have no boiler cover unfortunately so would need to be a local heating engineer I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This may or may not apply to Hive systems.

A manufacturer of a system using Licence Exempt wireless communication ( 433.xx MHz and 868.xx MHz ) had designed his system protocols such that recovery after a power failure would always happen. The recovery sequence was thoroughly tested with both clean breaks and re-connections and stuttering breaks and re-connections. The system recovered every time.

But too many customers complained that after a power cut their system had to be manually reset before it recovered.

What the manufacturer had ( apparently ) overlooked was that after a local area power cut many wireless based systems of various types and manufacturer in several houses would all be trying to recover at the same time and the wireless channels would be heavily congested.

The protocol for recovering from a power cut was changed and that problem was resolved.

If you initiate a CH demand using the call button on the receiver and still get no joy, then the boiler would be the next item in the fault finding process. Have you tried resetting the boiler?

Yes I have tried to reset the boiler by holding the knob for 3 seconds in the reset position. Although as nothing actually happens I am unsure if I am doing it right but there are no other instructions.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I have rebooted HIVE on 3 separate occasions, but still no luck. It's odd that it works for the hot water but not the central heating

If you had not mentioned the power cut but only the fault (no heating, but hot water OK) and as the Hive seems to be working, I would have pointed you in the direction of your heating's motorised valve.

If you have a 3-Port valve they 'fail' in the 'hot water only' position, so I would check that first to see if it is moving to the heating position.

If you have two separate a 2-Port valves the heating valve may have failed. If the valve isn't operating as it should be then a check on the wires with a multimeter by someone competent will indicate if they are getting the correct voltage applied from the Hive. It's unlikely a power cut would have created a fault with a motorised valve though, so its failure would be a coincidence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back