Central heating insulation-pipes through garage+holes inwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1987 house where the boiler is in the utility and the pipes between the boiler and the rest of the house runs through the garage- fab.

The pipes where lagged with 13mm PE foam insulation- but with gaps and areas exposed (central heating does not keep its heat). There was also loft insulation around the covered pipes.

I've started to renew with a larger wall thickness- some of the pipes are 12mm and some 28mm, I am going for a climaflex wall thickness of 19mm and 25mm where space will allow . But as usual I've uncovered some other challenges.....

Id be grateful for some advice.........

Does the addition of loft insulation after putting PE foam in add anything really?
There is a couple of decent holes where the pipes go into thehouse and back out- they were stuffed with insulation, would I be better off sealing with an expanding foam- or is the potential heat from pipes a nono with these products?

Thanks for the help

ed

Sponsored Links
The thicker and better the lagging the better.

Are the pipes sleeved through the wall.

the pipes have a traditional sleeving on- not very thick, I am tempted to cut off and replace with a PE foam where space allows

Sponsored Links
You can always trim the back where it touches the wall, the thicker the better though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back