Central heating leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I fear i may have a small leak in my system and have read about these leak sealers on the internet.
My question is do they really work and if so which is the best one ?

I have a baxi 105e and was losing pressure I called an engineer and he replaced the pressure diverter valve ,(i was losing water out of the pressure release pipe outside.
This seemed to do the trick , the boiler was refilled to one and a half bar pressure and the pressure has dropped point one of a bar in 24 hours
I rang the engineer and he said there may be a leak in the system..
Comments would be appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Yep, sounds like you have another leak.

Check all pipework leading to all radiators.

Andy

It sounds like your engineer replaced the pressure releif valve but if he didnt re-charge the expansion vessel at the same time then you will still have the same problem, get a small plastic bag or a balloon and put it over the outlet of the pressure releif pipe (should be outside) and see if you get any water in it over a few days, if you do then it is indeed the expansion vessel

If you have the instant version the expansion vessel regularly fails! So its important to check and repressurise it if necessary.

Boiler pressure varied by about 0.4 bar according to boiler/heating temperature and should not be thought to be any problem unless the pressure when everything is completely cold has fallen significantly.

The gauge can have some hysteresis!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes the expansion vessel was checked and re inflated to the correct pressure according to the handbook and i have checked the outside pressure relief pipe and it is now dry .

When the boiler is cold should the pressure valve remain on one and a half bar or does it fluctuate slightly

All the pipework around the rads is good and dry

The boiler is a combi by the way..

The indicated pressure can fluctuate because of hysteresis in the gauge!

That can be up to 0.3 bar or more!

Tony

Gauge on an instant always fluctuates about , Leave everything along for a few days and if it dont drop below one do not worry

Many thanks everyone.....
Its put my mind at ease i thought i would have to have all the floor up everywhere to try and find a leak....

The pressure gauge hasn,t dropped much (Just one digit) in the last 24 hours..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back