Central heating noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Netaheat Boiler and when the heating is switched on and also whilst it is running I experience loud banging noises from around the house. I am unable to determine exactly where they are coming from and the noises are not just at start up.
I have bleed the radiators (9) several times and although I often get air out of different radiators this fails to stop the noise. When I bleed the radiators the air seem to be present at different points at different times.
Incidentally should I bleed the radiators with the system off or on? and should I start at the nearest or furthest from the boiler and/or start upstairs or down?
I moved into this house about three months ago and the noise have been here since we moved in. I do not know if they were present before.
Sorry if this is not enough information, but let me know what you need and I will try to supply it.
Regards

Sponsored Links
Bleed with boiler/pump OFF. Sequence not critical.
Shouldn't need to keep on bleeding, add a corrosion inhibitor.
Try operating with boiler temp set lower.
Old boilers can thump a bit, banging in rads more likely to be due to pipes being jammed so they can't expand properly.

I have also discovered a couple of bleed valves that are situated in the airing cupboard at the top of a short length of pipework.
What do I do with these?

Sponsored Links
V important! OPen them and let the air out, fairly obviously... If there was much in there though your HW wouldn't get hot.
My Netaheat isn't as quiet as it was - try turning its thermostat down - any difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back