central heating not kicking in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Appolo boiler
changed the thermocouple a few months ago as pilot light went out would not light. Had a few mvolts on there, but forum advised changing and this solved the problem.

Here we go with my new problem

hot water works fine, and seeing that I messed about with the motorised valve upstairs a few years ago ( cant remember why ) when the hot water was on, the radiators would get warmish. This has been like this for a few years. I am at my partners house most of the time, so not worried about this.

Anyway here we go. With the switch set to hot water, the boiler fires up and heats as normal. If I turn on hot water and heating, with the stat turned up high, the radiators dont get any warmer, just the same warmish.

The room stat clicks , so should be sending the signal.

I went upstairs to the motorised honywell valve and pushed the leaver so that it locked in the shepards crook end if you see what I mean.

The radiators worked.

Let them work for a while, and then turned the stat down. After a few minutes the boiler/pump running noise stopped, so appears to be controlling

What signal does the motor get? from a relay? where can I measure it?
how many ohms should the winding measure? accross what wires?
if i just bought the motor, how do I set it up in the correct position, so that I know if its shut etc, or is it easier to buy the whole unit?

Thanks for any help given

Nick

Sponsored Links
When you take the motor off you will see that its got to fit back so when its turning it will open / close the body its pretty straight forward to change the motor just make sure you have a small screwdriver and get some strip connectors if you do it right its a 10 min job

The radiators getting hot as I said and then when I turned the stat down, the pump turned off.
However

I turned the stat back up, and nothing. So I touched the lever on the valve, just a touch, back towards its furthest point, asif un hooking it from curve. As I did I heard a click and it all powered up again. let it go and it stops. Move it a touch and it powers up the pump and heating again.
Is this fitted with a micro switch? How does this work?

Sponsored Links
When you take the motor off you will see that its got to fit back so when its turning it will open / close the body its pretty straight forward to change the motor just make sure you have a small screwdriver and get some strip connectors if you do it right its a 10 min job

Do you think it needs changing or just aligning?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back