Central Heating not starting up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My system is an E.L.M Le Blanq combi boiler.

The water heating is working fine but no central heating.

Problem started this week when I tried to switched the central heating system back on via the temp controller on the boiler, my system has always been on constant but the setting as been set lower so the central heating has not started up, I altered the setting to 3 this week from 1 due to cold nights setting in the system sounded as if it had started up so I thought it was Ok but the radiators did not warm up, on checking the boiler it sounded the same as if it was working, but where the pilot light is I could see that the main burners were not lit, I altered the temp setting down and this switched the boiler off on altering back up it sounded as if it had started, but again no main gas light inside the boiler the pilot light was being drawn in but no main ignition on gas, I tried the hot water and this was fine main gas ignited inside the pilot light viewing window, when I switched the water off the central heating sound had gone off, I altered the temp up until it got to 6 from 3 and it started up again but no main ignition. seems when the water is on this alters the temp setting on the central heating side off the boiler ?

I would like some info from you guys if possible before getting the engineer out.
Cheers Al

Sponsored Links
Unusually with this boiler the pump only operates in CH mode, not for DHW, so the suspicion must be that the pump has jammed through not being used over summer. To free it, open cap in head and insert screwdriver to engage in and turn spindle. A small amount of water will leak out - catch with cloth.

Let us know if that works ;) .

Oh my god, are there still ELMs out there? What happened to our campaign to have them turned around at Dover?

There are quite a few still in use in the Coventry area although I have never seen one in the London area.

There are very few spares available in the UK so I keep an old boiler just in case but have had no calls on it so will probably get rid of it soon!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Tony, you know full well that if you get rid of it then you'll get a phone call the very next day.

chrishutt said:
Unusually with this boiler the pump only operates in CH mode, not for DHW, so the suspicion must be that the pump has jammed through not being used over summer. To free it, open cap in head and insert screwdriver to engage in and turn spindle. A small amount of water will leak out - catch with cloth.

Let us know if that works ;) .

Bang on Chris the pump was stuck, did as you said and everything AOkay.
Cheers

One of the "killers" on this model is the very unusual PRV which is not obviously easily available.

The only cure is to put another in series but this practice is generally frowned on.

We keep a lot of old/unusual models for emergency spares, Savio, Gem, Elm, Radiant, Sime, Feroli, Sonya Duval etc.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back