Central heating pipes branching at an equal "T" ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :),

Hope someone can help me with this one please as a non plumber ??

I'm having an extension done on my house which means I will have to reroute the 15mm copper central heating pipes to a new bedroom upstairs. Is it ok for the central heating flow and return to go to an equal "T" and branch left and right from it, or is that frowned upon ??

I haven't got a clue about the more technical do's and don'ts with copper pipe, but wondered if the constant water pressure hitting the equal "T" could damage it, or wear it through ??

The reason I ask is that I was reading / watching YouTube vid's on how important it is to debur copper joints so that they don't create turbulence in the water flow and wear through and cause leaks. I would have thought the constant pressure of the water hitting the "T" then branching left and right could eventually wear the copper away ??

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Eventually it might I suppose, but both you and I will be dead before it happens

Water will eventually create the Grand Canyon! And that other big valley on Mars!
Forget the name as I've had too much cider.

How do you think hot/cold water/ heating systems work?
By definition, water has to go around loads of bends/ elbows/tees etc in every house.

Sponsored Links
How do you think hot/cold water/ heating systems work?
By definition, water has to go around loads of bends/ elbows/tees etc in every house.

As a now retired firefighter by trade.....I have a fair idea how water flows and doesn't flow, but I was honest enough to say I'm not a plumber and just wanted to double check it was ok not to have the main cental heating flow banging off a "T" to go in its separate directions. I just thought it "may" wear away the copper in time ??

And as I also mentioned, the reason I asked was that I had been reading and watching vid's on what happens to copper pipe if when cut and joined it isn't deburred. The turbulence caused in the pipe wears it away from the inside out and can cause leaks. If that can happen from something as simple as not deburring a cut, then to me it's logical to that there's a risk from the central heating flow banging away at a "T" over time may wear it away.

I appreciate the replies though.....thanks (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back