central heating pressure heat bank system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not my disaster but I have moved into a flat which has an electric pressure heat bank system which heats the water and feeds underfloor heating. Although I have hot water, the underfloor heating hasn't worked for weeks. It is worked. by water filled pipes under the floor. I have had people to check the boiler and a plumber as well , but neither can find any faults but equally they can't get the underfloor heating to work. I now don't know where to turn. Is there anyone who is familiar with this kind of system?

Sponsored Links
i am a plumber but not familiar with the system you have. But is there a room thermostat for the under floor and can you see a pump any where. Try spinning the pump it may be seized.

I have already tried that with pump and there are thermostats in every room

Have you got all thermostats turned up to maximum?
if so the boiler could well be tripping out on boiler overheat, turn all thermostats down till you just hear an audible click, then wait a while and then turn one thermostat up a few degrees, has the big flame come on in the boiler?

Wotan

Sponsored Links
have you got any radiators or is it all under floor? could be an air lock? what is the system pressure at?

Without seeing a layout for the system could be several things:
1) lack of pressure/air lock (your plumber should have checked this first if he's any good)
2) pump shaft sheared: some makes of pump have ceramic innards which have been known to shear, pump looks like it's rotating but no circulation. If there's a speed control on the pump turning it up or down should change the sound of running water showing it is working (not a common problem but I have had it happen with certain makes)
3) Some makes of underfloor heating use a thermostatic mixing valve to limit the temperature of the water. If this is seized closed could be stopping hot water getting into the system. Also check any electric valves on the circuits to make sure they are opening (some use like a wax capsule head which takes time to open, try removing control heads from manifold to see if that works, though for all to go down at once would be strange. :confused: Common electrical problem maybe?

Is your hot water cylinder on the same pump as he underfloor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back