Central heating pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a bit of a problem with the central heating taking an age to get the radiators warm. It would take over an hour to get them to be hot.

When I checked the pressure in the system, it was set correctly at 1.1bar when running, but dropped to ~0.7bar when off. So I thought I would re-pressurise it when it is off back up to 1.1bar. Now the radiators heat up quicker (about 40 minutes to get to hot and about an hour to get to max heat - though it is 0° outside and it's been off all night). But when I read the guage just now it's up at about 1.7bar.

Should I pressurise the system to 1.1bar when it is off or when it is running?

Sponsored Links
pressurise when off and basically cool/cold. when on and water gets heated pressure will rise about 1 bar due to expansion.
going from 1.1 bar to 1.7 bar seems ok.
What you don't want, is for the pressure to reach 3 bar when heating on.
This can happen when expansion vessel has lost some or all of it's air charge which results in such a small volume of air for compression.
If and when 3 bar is reached it will for safety reasons open the PRV (pressure relief valve) which you don't really want cause they don't always close perfectly.

Brilliant. Thanks. It seems to be working better since it has more pressure now :)

Off to play in the snow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back