Boiler pressure dropping when heating is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader, so please go easy on me!

I have a Vaillant ecoTec plus 831 boiler, just over 3 years old now. The problem I have is that when we use the heating, the boiler pressure drops - and the amount it drops is proportional to how long the boiler is on - the longer the heating is on, the more it drops. So it drops from 1.1bar to 0.6bar in about 4-5 days when the heating is on about 6-8 hours a day.

It stands to reason there is a leak somewhere. But I noticed that if the heating isn't on and we just use the hot water, then there isn't a drop in pressure (or if there is, it isn't noticeable).

So it is either a leak in the system, which gets worse when the hot water is pumped through, or there is an issue with the boiler such that when the heating is on, the pressure reduces?

I checked the boiler overflow pipe when the heating was on but didn't detect any moisture in the pipe.

What do people think? Leak in the system that gets worse with hot water, or boiler issue? If it is a leak in the system, I am surprised that it gets worse when there is hot water in it, as I though that for any joins etc, hot water would "seal" weeps shut due to expansion of the copper pipe.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You need to have the boiler and system checked.

A good service and check over the system should show up what is wronge. Things to check: Expansion Vessel, Pressure relief valve, Heat exchanger, System for leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back