Central heating problem (Open vented)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Ive extended some central heating pipes into a conservatory. I capped off the new pipes filled up bled all radiators in the house everything fine. The new radiator arrived today, I noticed when I took one cap end off a pipe I assume the return they was no water just a slight suck of air the other side had loads of water in. I piped up the rad and bled it but it will not get warm all the rest of the rads in the house are fine! do you all recon they could be a blockage on the return?

Sponsored Links
Most likely an airlock. Make sure both valves on the new rad are fully open, then with your heating running turn off every other read in the house. That should clear it

Worth noting here that fitting a radiator in a conservatory doesn't comply with Building Regulations

shut down the rest of the rads and leave the new one on and see if it gets hot just sounds like an airlock unless it is a vertical column radiator

Hi its the cast iron stand alone radiator but I cant see why that would make a difference, I have tried turning off the other rads to push the heat through as like you would when balancing radiators but no luck :( yes maybe an air lock thinking about it..

Sponsored Links
can you post the make and model of the radiator or a link to where you got it some are not just straight forward like normal radiators

some non standard radiators can only be installed one way round I.e. the flow must be at one end as they are fitted with a baffle, why dont you close both rad valves and disconnect them one at a time and hold over a basin and open it to see if you have a good flow of water from each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back