central heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive an sterling 50 oil fired indirect system with a turco trojan boiler, my smc comet 2-130 pump seized up (freed up with a hammer but then stuck cutting out the boiler) but i then decided to change the pump before i actually need the heating.

anyway i went to plumb centre and got a circulating pumps 5m head model and fitted two new pump valves, since fitting it ive found that the boiler still runs hot and cuts out.

The pump whirs and ive pulled out the plug and it spins, pulled aside it spits boiling water as the instructions says it will. Ive tried speed setting 2 and three to clear the system but it just doesnt circulate enough.

BUT only the upstairs rads get hot, downstairs are frozen cold!

ill turn off the boiler for the night and leave the pump on to circulate the water (hopefully).

also the overflow tank pumps air out of the vent pipe filling our attic with steam!

ive just put in a litre of sentinel sludge remover, its 12pm and im knackered.

Any suggestions to solving this problem would be appreciated as the missus is not impressed after a week of fiddling!

Apologies for the long post

Many thanks

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Don't know oil boilers but if steam is spitting out of vent I would suspect that the boiler stat/overheat stat has gone for starters.

Have you open the new pump valves fully?

Your other problems sound like a sludged up system, unless you have any zone valves that are stuck.

If the system is badly sludged you may need a powerflush machine, as at present it sounds like there is no circulation to circulate the cleanser.

Sludge will also knacker your new pump very quickly as well!

ive drained the system twice it was far cleaner the second time.

Just wondering looking at the tags on both pumps. the new one spins 600r/min slower than the old one. Would this have an effect???

yes both pump valves are fully opened.

Where would i get a powerflush thing from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back