Central heating pump problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a problem which I believe to be the pump, but I thought I'd ask people with more experience before I go and replace it.
The radiators downstairs are cold and upstairs hot.
I had a guy in doing a service on the baxi back boiler and he said the pump was fine, that it was probably sludge and wanted £450 to fix it.
I had a look at the pump and its starting to spin up, then cuts out. The flashing lights give an error code in the manual which just says unstable operation.
I noticed while the boilers running, theres bubbling in the hot water tank.

What else can I check to diagnose or fix it. The back boilers was just serviced and is working fine.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a conventional (heat only) boiler with 2 tanks in the loft, try and find where the cold feed enters the system & see if a magnet will be attracted to it, it could be a blockage there which could lead to no heat downstairs. A blockage there would also cause water to be pumped over via the open vent pipe into the smaller of the 2 tanks (expansion tank). Just noticed the "back boiler" bit, so it is heat only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back