Central heating pump switching off when got hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone help. My central heating pump keeps switching off as soon as the hot water tank reached temperature. We have a Drayton mid position actuator fitted which should alter a value and keep the central heating running if the room thermostat says it need too. Now is it the thermostat, or the Mid position actuator that isn't working and how can I check? Any idea gratefully received. Thanks Angie

Sponsored Links
Get your electronic test meter and then follow that advice in the FAQ on this site!

Tony

Hi
Can anyone help. My central heating pump keeps switching off as soon as the hot water tank reached temperature. We have a Drayton mid position actuator fitted which should alter a value and keep the central heating running if the room thermostat says it need too. Now is it the thermostat, or the Mid position actuator that isn't working and how can I check? Any idea gratefully received. Thanks Angie

Sorry don't ahve electronic meter, is there anything else I could use?

OK will get one for next time but what can I do for now??

I have detached the Drayton mid point actuator and turned the valve manually and this sorted the issued, so it is the motor.
Thank you all for your advice. Angie

Only an engineer!

A test meter is the first requisite for any fault finding on heating, TVs and cars!

Sponsored Links
Angie, it may be something simple like the little motor in your mid position valve that has failed. To be sure a simple and quick test by someone with a test meter will diagnose the fault. Lots of people have a test meter. Ask friends/neighbours for help. If all that fails you may have to call someone out. Good luck.
PS. you could buy a meter and then you'd be able to test your TV and your car ;)

I doubt it is the motor as that would mean multiple faults ( she has some central heating)
in order of probability
1 the microswitch in the actuator has failed
2 the valve is beginning to seize and is preventing said micro switch making
3 you have a wiring fault

There are simple tests you can do to prove, but it means dealing with wires. And taking off the head if you are confident

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back