Central heating system blowing fuses

Update for the above, I have ran the system now with the Motor, Diverter valve and the thermostat on the hot water cylinder disconnected. Did notice yesterday that when the fuse blew, a spark jumped out of the timer switch ( Randall 103 mechanical timer) with the help of a couple of guys on here I've managed to source a replacement. In the meantime can anyone advise as to whether there is a simple test to do to eliminate the timer from the system as faulty before I purchase, they are quite expensive.
Regards Otto

If the heating system is wired correctely it is not possible for the pump to remain running when the spur fuse blows. are you sure that the fuse you refer to is the one for the electrical supply to the heating system?.

Sponsored Links
If the heating system is wired correctely it is not possible for the pump to remain running when the spur fuse blows. are you sure that the fuse you refer to is the one for the electrical supply to the heating system?.

The op was asked to power the pump seperately to eliminate it as the cause of the fuse blowing.

kinda losing me now ;) where does it say on the first post that the pumps running after the fuse blows ?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise if the OP has found out the problem?

And if so what it was?

Update for the above, fitted new randall 103 timer this afternoon, ordered one of EBay, then found out that my cousin had brand new one in his cupboard, typical. Anyways, made no difference, still blowing fuse, checked wiring again and removed cylinder thermostat from the equation & the diverter valve. Heating would not fire up, but did not fuse either, could hear randall timer running, re-connected cylinder thermostat and the fuse blew straight away. Upon inspection I noticed the following. Cylinder stat fitted to terminal block as follows, Brown-T2, Earth-T6 & Blue T7. When I connect the brown to T2 and checked it only shows voltage when system is turned on, when it is showing 240ac the Earth on T6 is also showing 240v AC, this I would predict is the cause fault I have been getting. Its an old Sunvic Type SA1452 clamp on thermostat, I believe these are now discontinued.
whilst removed the boiler won't fire, is this because I have the diverter valve disconnected. I can refit the diverter wiring but would appreciate the following advice as I'm unsure which terminal the blue wire connects to from the valve, I believe it was set up as the Blue (possibly T4 or T5) T4 has x1 yellow wire connected & T5 has x3 blue wire connected ( excluding the blue I need to connect)
Also, Is there an alternative for the above thermostat (Sunvic Type SA1452)
Regards Otto

Direct replacement for the SA1452 is SA2452, what make is the diverter valve as blue is normally neutral.

I seem to remember we had someone with an intermittent fuse blowing.

It turned out to be the cyl stat was wrongly wired but only a certain combination of situations caused the short.

The wiring may need to be checked wire by wire!

Tony

Hello group, I'm currently having bother with a gravity fed central heating system.

Diverter valve and the thermostat on the hot water cylinder disconnected.

These statements are almost certainly contradictory. Let's assume you really meant you have a fully pumped central heating system...
not contradictory at all
lets assume he has a S or W plan fully pumped gravity fed system :rolleyes:
(with a incorrectly wired/knakered cyl stat or diverter/3-port valve)
as spraggo has said blue is normally neutral
make of valve and some photos of wiring/valves etc would be useful

Matt

I'll nip around and get some photo's today, I have the stat with me, the wiring is standard 3 core rubber flex, The earth connects to T1 on the stat, blue to T2 & Brown to T3, there is also an earth terminal with no wiring connected to it, the wiring has not been altered on the stat and has been faithful for approx 20 years.
I guess my earlier query with regards to why the earth was indicating 240ac on the cylinder stat is probably due to the fact, the earth wire has been utilised for when the stat is closed, so it is probably not at fault.
Regards Otto

Pictures up soon

Wiring for the SA1452 and SA 2452 is

COMMON = 3

DEMAND = 1

SATISFIED = 2

Finally, this has been a long one. The Earth returning from the cylinder stat as mentioned was live. I assumed that it was the earth, it was not, it was the demand as mentioned. I had taken the wires out of the terminal block umpteen times to try and diagnose the fault, when I had replaced the wire I made the presumption that the earth returned to the terminal containing a block of x3 earths, this was the wrong assumption. When I returned the demand wire to its correct terminal the boiler fired. The fuse remained intact and has ran for a fortnight, until now, another problem has manifested which I will raise in another thread.
So the problem was the randal timer mechanism, which I swapped out and all was well.
Thank you for all your help and advice, it was invaluable, Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back