circulation pump blowing fuse ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have main fuse keep blowing on my central heating system could this be the pump ?...ive changed the acuator and Stat ! but it keeps on blowing the main 5amp fuse (in the fuse box)after 5 minutes after switching on ! any ideas !...the pump feels cold when the heating system fuses after being on for 5 mins ! ..so can the pump still fuse the electrics even after 5 mins /?

Sponsored Links
A fuse can blow over a period time, it relative to the value of the fault current over time and the capacity the fuse has to maintain that particular fault current.
A fuse blowing could be for a number of reasons, to track it down you would need to eliminate electrical connection of the circuit and/or do some electrical testing.

Why have you started another thread on the same problem ?

Why have you started another thread on the same problem ?

Apologies but i wasnt sure if my problem was for the Electrics forum or Plumbing and Heating forum and mistakenly put it on here first ....and this is my first post on Diy Not

Sponsored Links
i have main fuse keep blowing on my central heating system could this be the pump ?.
It could be but it could be anything connected to the fuse. Boiler, Motorised Valve, damaged cable etc., unless you have electrical test equipment and know how to use it, all you can really do is adopt a trial and error approach and install a new pump and see.

Having said that, if you can do this safely, you could disconnect the pump from the existing wiring (insulate it and make it safe) then wire the pump to a 13A plug with a 3A fuse in. Switch the boiler off and manually open any motorised valves to allow water circulation, then plug in the pump and see if it blows the fuse in the plug. If it does the pump is faulty.

but it keeps on blowing the main 5amp fuse (in the fuse box)
This is unusual, normally the heating system is connected via a local fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back