Central heating system design and issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have looked for answers but have found none so forgive me if this has been answered before.

I have an oil fired boiler with a vented heating system (tanks in loft, hot water storage tank etc), but after a recent loft convresion now also have a pressure vessel as well, the system is not sealed.
I have recently bled some radiators and found one in the upstairs can not be bled full (only heats about 3/4 of the way up, a towel heater) and one in the loft. Whilst in the loft I checked the pressure vessel and it is reading 0 bar, so:

Is this type of system normal?
How can I re pressurize the vessel?
Will this fix problem with air in radiators?

Hope that makes sense :eek:)

Sponsored Links
UPDATE:

After doing some more digging is it possible that the radiators are now a sealed system??

If so does this shed any light on things??

If it is a sealed system (why have a pressure guage if not) as you have been bleeding air from the system through the radiators the pressure has dropped and is now reading 0, check at the expansion vessel for a flexible steel braided hose with either a valve on each end or a single valve.

A quarter turn on the valve or 1\2 turn will normally open it up and you should see the guage rise stop at around 1.5 bar of pressure and bleed your radiators again, when finished set the pressure to 1.5 bar if the red neddle on the guage has not been set to an operating pressure and this should work for you

Robert

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robert,
Rads lbed and system working ok, checked pressure today holding at 1.5bar.
Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back