Excess pressure in sealed CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After replacing a TRV on a radiator recently the normal running pressure of my sealed system has increased from approx 1.75bar to just under the pressure release value of 3 bar. In fact, the pressure exceeds 3 bar slightly and water is lost and the cool system pressure is then sits at just under 1 bar.

I have thoroughly bled the system. The oil-fired boiler is not overheating and cuts in and out as normal.

Does anyone know why this change should have taken place? Is it anything to do with the expansion vessel?

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pressure vessel to me. Just make sure your filling loop is disconnected to eliminate the possibilty of Fill loop valve not shutting off properly. You can save money by connecting another pressure vessel into the system and leaving the old one where it is.
Sometimes you can get away with pumping up the vessel again. It has a Schrader valve on it and a car tyre pump fits it. Let some water out before you do it and do it when the system is cold

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it was the vessel. It was still under guarantee so a new one was fitted, solving the problem. The faulty one was absolutely full of water indicating a leaking bladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back