High system pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have sealed system with Keston boiler and I have the system pressure set to 1.8 bars when cold (2.4 bar when hot). I know that it is much higher than the recommended 1-1.2 bars but the only reason I’ve set it to be so high is that if I set it on recommended pressure (e.g. 1 bar) I can hear gurgling noses in few radiators. When I increase the system pressure to 1.8 bar the noises disappear. My questions are: Is it a problem to run the system on such high pressure or if not can you suggest how can I make it run quietly at normal pressure? How much the expansion vessel air pressure shall be set to? The Expansion vessel is at the top of the system (at the airing cupboard) and the air pressure is set to 6psi when system pressure was 0 bar. The bypass valve is fully open and the boiler doesn’t have an adjustable temperature control only few thermostats which shut down the boiler if water heats to 80 degrees. Thanks you four help.

Sponsored Links
First thing that would be questioned is the present pressure in your expansion vessel. If the cold fill pressure is 1.8 bar then the vessel should be filled to a minimum of 1.8 bar. With 6 psi bag pressure and an operating pressure of 2.4 bar your press vessel is serving no purpose and the whole system is being exposed to unnecessary pressure. I would suggest you reduce the system pressure to around 1.2 bar (cold fill) and reset the press vessel to 16psi and monitor the performance. To overcome the gurgling noises I would make sure that the system is cleared of air. :)

We need to know how high the top of the system is above the boiler. Presumably the pressure gauge is on or near the boiler, whereas the EV is at the top of the system, so there could be a significant pressure difference which DEEARR is ignoring.

the EV precharge pressure should be appropriate to the pressure at that point of the system, so 6 psi (0.4 bar), although low, may be OK, but it would normally be double this. However the boiler (pressure gauge) pressure should take account of the additional height above. If not, you could get sub-atmospheric pressure at the top of the system and air ingress.

Sponsored Links
I've set the EV pressure to 16psi when system pressure was 0 bar and then fill up the system to 1.2 bar. unfortunately that resulted in a bigger gurgling noise from some of the radiators than before. I believe that there is no air in the system because I've bled the rads, pump multiple times but no air is coming out. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

PS Can the gurguling noise be cause because the TRV where installed not on the flow side of the radiator? It is Drayton TRV and it saids on the label that it can be installed on the either end.javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back