central heating vent going into F&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With respect to tranhq's pictures above.... can someone tell me why his hot water expansion pipe is draining into his Feed & Expansion tank which is part of the heating circuit?

Surely the hot water expansion pipe should empty into the cold water storage tank (usually the large tank) in the loft?

Theres some seriously bad corrosion on his tank ballvalve and pump isolation valves btw!!!! Think he needs a hand!

Having fitted a new part 2 ballvalve in my cold water storage tank today I note that the overflow pipe has a right angle dip pipe inside the tank. Should the end of this dip pipe be below the tank water level (hence the name dip pipe!) or just above it (the length of the dip pipe before the overflow starts is 2")?
As the rest of the assembly is byelaw 30 compliant I can't understand why there is no insect filter on the overflow unless the end of the dip pipe is supposed to be in the water and thereby act as a block to insects. Apology if this is a dippy question!

Also note a lot of greeny blue sediment in the cold water storage tank, should I remove this (the house is 10 years old)?

Thanks!

+ + + + + +
You've read this one all wrong.
For your questions please start a new thread, hijacking not allowed!

Mod 10
++++++++

Sponsored Links
thanks stardanny I know that but surely his hot water vent should goto his cold water tank. I am not talking about his central heating hot water.

On a separate note theres no central heating vent going into my little F&E tank ....so where is it??!!!

Hi Bob. The top picture show the pipe layout is right. There are two vent pipes, one for hot water vent running from top of hot water cylinder to cold water storage tank and other vent running from heating system to F&E tank. What system have you got? Can you see a copper 22mm pipe over the F&e tank?

ahhhh thanks again stardanny I just assumed the first pic showed his hot water vent and not the CH vent. Doh!
Thought mine was a vented system but with there being no vent pipe to the F&E tank it can't be I guess? I can see the 22mm pipe which is the hot water vent going to the cold water storage tank but defo nowt to the F&E!!! Guess that just makes it a feed only tank?!!
Theres a little upright bleed valve on the CH side just after the diverter valve which I bleed occassionally.

Sponsored Links
That upright valve is the air bleeding valve to let air out, that is ok.
Can you see where the cold feed pipe from F&E tank and where it go to, there should be a 22mm pipe near the cold feed pipe? Can you take a pic of the F& E tank? On a vented central heating, there should be a vent pipe. Sometime there may be a vent and feed in same pipe.

Apologies to the moderator, it was only a slight diversion from the original posters problem and is relevant to a degree as it all ties in.

Star I presume that the 22mm pipe out of the side of the F&E must be a combined supply and vent as it goes into the airing cupboard where it goes to a 22x28x28 T junction with one arm onto and down to the combi boiler and the other off to the pump etc. Are there more problems associated with a combined vent and feed as opposed to separates?

Glad I looked in as this magnaclean device looks pretty good.

One last thing I always use a single run of ptfe tape on the threads of compression fittings etc so is this bad practice?

aww, you are not that bad.

Got most of my stuff today so in good shape (I think) for the coming weekend.

Also got myslef a Magnaclean filter too :D . It was on ebay for £55 plus p&p - works out at £65. I guess that's a garbain.

Will post back how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back